April 3-4, 2018
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
The Office for Diversity, Equity and Community Engagement invites faculty, students, and staff to submit proposals for workshops, panels, poster sessions, and interactive presentations related to the theme, Embracing Diversity and Inclusion at GW. The ODECE welcomes creative proposals that reflect best practices in creating a diverse and inclusive campus environment. Topics related to diversity and inclusion may involve, but are not limited to: race, class, gender, sexuality or orientation, religion, age, (dis)ability, or intersectionality.
All members of the George Washington University community are invited to submit proposals that engage with questions like, but not limited to, the following:
- How can our campus better prevent sexual assault and support survivors?
- What kinds of cultural inclusion can we enact on campus to better demonstrate our understanding of diversity as including people with disabilities, religious diversity, racial diversity, gender diversity, ethnic and country of origin diversity and language diversity?
- How can we move our understanding of disability beyond legal compliance, and create syllabi, assignments, classroom spaces, and social spaces that are accessible to all?
- What interfaith work is making strides to connect members of our campus community across their religious beliefs?
- What role does economic diversity play on campus?
- How can we help students to understand the implicit biases they may hold toward faculty and staff?
- What kinds of language can faculty and staff use to better connect with and welcome all students?
- How can we better understand the role that sexuality and sexual orientation plays in our daily lives?
- How can we be in solidarity with each other without appropriating others' experiences?
- How do our lived experiences reflect the intersectional nature of our identities? How can we examine our own attitudes toward bullying and bias?
Panels and presentations will be presented on Wednesday, April 4, 2018.
To submit a proposal, please provide:
2. Abstract and description of presentation or poster
3. Biographical information on presenter(s)
4. Audio-visual/Room needs
5. Accessibility needs
Proposals should be submitted electronically via this Google form to the Office for Diversity, Equity, and Community Engagement no later than 5pm on Wednesday, January 31, 2018.
Notifications will be sent by Friday, February 23, 2018.