- Ready to kick start your career and gain valuable non-profit management experience?
- Do you believe in making a difference in marginalized communities here at home?
- What to earn money to pay off your student loans or put towards grad school?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, consider joining AmeriCorps VISTA after graduating. With AmeriCorps VISTA, you have a chance to live and serve in the community and focus area of your choice. For a one year commitment, you will receive a modest living allowance, a $5,815 education award (to put towards education expenses like student loans), health and childcare coverage, and many more benefits.
Most importantly, you will be working alongside community leaders and local organizations to make a lasting impact in initiatives like:
- Ensuring all children have access to quality nutrition and education,
- Securing safe housing for homeless veterans and their families,
- Helping senior citizens keep their family homes in rapidly gentrifying neighborhoods,
- Enabling sovereign tribal nations to secure and promote their cultural heritage,
- And thousands more opportunities!
Learn more and Start Your Application
- The George Washington/DCPS Partnership is hiring AmeriCorps VISTA members now! Click to learn more about this exciting opportunity!
- Visit Americorps.gov/VISTA to learn about the program, benefits, and how to apply!
- See the full list of AmeriCorps VISTA benefits here.
Here at George Washington and DC Public Schools we are specifically looking for AmeriCorps VISTA members to serve as Community Liaisons for DC Public Schools and to serve as a Data and Evaluation Fellow, School Partnerships Fellow, Communications and Training Fellow at DCPS Central Office and a Team Leader. Start your application today at the link above or contact us at the Nashman Center for Civic Engagement and Public Service for more information (Sarah Jennings, 202-994-9903, firstname.lastname@example.org).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is AmeriCorps VISTA?
AmeriCorps VISTA is a national service program designed to alleviate poverty. President John F. Kennedy originated the idea for VISTA, which was founded as Volunteers in Service to America in 1965, and incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs in 1993. AmeriCorps VISTA members serve full-time for a year in anti-poverty organizations and agencies throughout the nation, working on issues such as fighting illiteracy, improving health services, creating businesses, increasing housing opportunities, improving college access, and bridging the digital divide.
What is the GW/DCPS VISTA Program?
A partnership between The George Washington University and the DC Public School System (DCPS) that places AmeriCorps VISTA Members in Title I schools throughout the city. Our VISTA members serve as School-Community Liaisons for one year and leverage resources, build capacity, and create sustainable infrastructures in three key areas:
• Partner Recruitment, Development, and Evaluation
• Parent/Family and Community Outreach
• Developing opportunities to engage George Washington University
Do I qualify for this VISTA position?
Bachelor's Degree preferred
Proficient in English
Available for a full time commitment
What are the benefits?
Education award upon successful completion of service
Professional Development and Training
DC Public School network connections and ID as well as The George Washington's network connections and ID
How do I apply?
Click on the links below to find out more about each description. The 2017-2018 cohort hiring deadline is June 5th and the start data is July 17th. The last day of service will be July 23, 2018.
What are the open positions?
Thank you for your time and please Sarah Jennings, the VISTA Supervisor, with any questions at SarahJennings@gwu.edu.